The development of a comprehensive sustainability policy at Concordia is crucial to ensure a sustainable future for Concordia and to create a guiding direction for sustainability to be incorporated into all decisions and actions of the university. Furthermore, a sustainability policy will legitimize existing initiatives and drive innovative ideas and projects across university operations and activities. For this policy to be meaningful, it needs to be inclusive, effective, and reflective of the needs of all members of the Concordia community.
What is a sustainability policy?
A sustainability policy is an umbrella framework that helps to integrate sustainability values and initiatives in the strategic planning of the university’s operational, academic and research activities. It also strengthens long-term institutional memory about sustainability.
Why does Concordia need one?
Universities all over Canada and the world are to make sustainability a priority. Concordia University is no exception. The development of a comprehensive sustainability policy will be crucial in ensuring a sustainable future for Concordia and in creating a guiding direction for sustainability to be incorporated into all decisions and actions of the university which ultimately affects all Concordians, including you. A sustainability policy will guide decision-makers in their strategic planning process to ensure proper integration of the different sustainability principles. The policy will also create a common understanding of sustainability throughout Concordia’s community, which will facilitate communicating Concordia’s current actions, goals, and processes towards sustainability.
Why should the next step be public consultations?
Public consultations are a key way to ensure the development of a sustainability policy is inclusive, effective and reflective of the needs of all members of the Concordia community and that includes you! A thorough public consultation will increase buy-in at different levels of university operations, academics and community, which will reduce the risk of a policy falling by the wayside, as with Concordia’s existing Environmental Policy. The benefits of comprehensive public consultations include:
- Position Concordia as a leader in sustainability and public participation
- Ensure policy reflects actual needs and lifestyles of the Concordia community
- Increase transparency of policy development process
- Increase efficiency and effectiveness of end result policy
- Increase likelihood of adoption and enforcement at a university level
- Increase likelihood of adoption at an informal user level
- Collect information for analytical purposes
- Measure expectations of public and stakeholder groups of the policy
How would a Sustainability Policy affect students?
→ Curriculum development
→ More classes incorporate principles of sustainability
→ New guidelines for food providers
→ better food for students
→ Human Resources Policy
→ living wages for Concordia’s workers
→ Greenhouse gas reduction strategy
→ Concordia shuttle buses go electric
We, the undersigned, support the creation of a sustainability policy that starts with and is driven by a comprehensive consultations process that involves all of the Concordia University community. We call on the university administration to support this vision.
- Sustainable Concordia (SC)
- Loyola College Student Association (LCSA)
- The Concordia Food Coalition (CFC)
- Concordia Greenhouse
- Centre for Gender Advocacy
- Divest Concordia
- Loyola Sustainability Research Centre
- Sustainable Engineering Concordia
- Loyola College for Diversity and Sustainability
- David O’Brien Centre for Sustainable Enterprise
- Sustainability Action Fund
- James Grant/Faculty/Biology
- Satoshi Ikeda/Faculty/Sociology
- Peter Graham/Faculty/
School of Community and Public Affairs
- Rosemarie Schade/Faculty/
Principal, Loyola College for Diversity and Sustainability
- Peter Stoett/Faculty/Political Science
- Adan E. Suazo/Staff/Assistant to the Principal,Loyola College for Diversity and Sustainability
- Amal Kassab/Student
- Akinrinade Oyeyemi/Student
- Stefan Schmidt/Community member
- Nicolas Beaulieu-Perrier/Student
- Mohammed Alkhattaf/Student
- Lydia Belhimeur/Student
- Michael Banks/Student
- Eric Leiva Ramirez/Student
- Geordan Vine/Student
- Shaghayegh Taheri/Student
- Madeline Harvey/Student
- Wenfrank Espada/Student
- Mahsa Khoshab/Student
- Stephannie Veenbaas/Student
- Sydney Bhalla/Student
- Mathieu Tremblay/Student
- Esmaeel Kariminezhad/Student
- Bradford Dean/Student
- Alexander Oster/Staff
- Loïc Freeman-Lavoie/Student