The role of the Design and Communications Coordinator is to create and maintain the visual and web presence of Sustainable Concordia (SC). The Coordinator will be responsible for creating regular outreach materials (both digital and print) as well as ongoing campaign materials. The coordinator will also be in charge of overseeing and planning SC’s social media and communication strategy. As they will be a part of the larger sustainability community at Concordia, the Coordinator will help when needed and as time allows in assisting other groups with their design needs.
About Sustainable Concordia (SC)
Sustainable Concordia is a resource initiative that takes action to reform, transform, and revolutionize unjust systems contributing to climate crisis by connecting students, faculty, administration, and the wider community.
In practice, this takes the form of maintaining a community resource library, designing and providing free education and training initiatives for students and community members, and facilitating events that promote the many facets of sustainability (environmental, economic, and social). We work with other student and community initiatives as well as the university administration to work towards a more just world.
Sustainable Concordia acknowledges that our society does not value and respect all people equally and are seeking applicants with different perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences to join our organization. We encourage applicants to highlight diverse experiences which are frequently unheard or undervalued in society and traditional job markets. This may include life, work, and/or volunteer experiences.
- Guide the team according to a yearly communication strategy
- Create outreach / promotional material including posters, social media cover photos, multi-page layouts, brochures, certificates etc.
- Maintain and update functionality of the SC WordPress website
- Guide social media strategies, and oversee (potential) social media intern
- Curate blog content
- Collaborate on outreach, such as a newsletter
- Create social media guidelines
- Curate and design the monthly newsletters
- Coordinate outreach needs (photographers, videographers…)
- Maintain a guide for standardized SC fonts, colors, etc. and digital filing system for logos
- Attend weekly Sustainable Concordia Coordinators meetings
- Attend Sustainable Concordia Board of Director meetings when required, as well as Outreach & Engagement committee meetings
- Collaborate with other coordinators in day-to-day operations of the organization including, but not limited to, meeting preparation and facilitation, board – coordinator relations, Annual General Meeting and retreat planning, Participatory Budgeting processes, etc
- Assist other student groups with web and graphic design help when appropriate
- Strong Illustrator and Photoshop (or equivalent software) skills
- Solid experience with WordPress
- Good understanding of social media graphics and wording requirements, general ease with various platforms
- Experience with campaigning and advertising, catching attention of intended audience
- Strong problem-solving skills; ability to fail, learn, and adapt quickly
- Experience creating and executing work plans autonomously as well as in conjunction with others
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills (esp. good listener)
- Strong English speaking and writing skills, including sustainability vocabulary
- Good understanding of global and local sustainability issues (Environmental, Social, and Economic), particularly at universities, and ability to communicate these issues clearly and succinctly. We prioritize knowledge around decolonial forms of sustainability.
- Comfortable both taking initiative and knowing when to delegate responsibilities
- Capable and appreciative of working efficiently in a consensus-structured, non-hierarchical environment
- Knowledge of Sustainable Concordia and experience with the organization
- Understanding of the student community (Concordia and/or Montreal)
- Visually creative with a desire to grow/strengthen a personal aesthetic
- Strong InDesign (or equivalent software) skills
- Knowledge of MailChimp
- Strong visual and written communication
- Comfortable having fluctuating hours throughout the semester
- Comfortable having a different schedule from week to week
- Comfortable asking for help when required
General Hiring Timeline:
Applications are open until January 17th, 2021.
Interviews of short-listed applicants about a week later.
Anticipated start date by the end of the week of January 25th, 2021
Please submit your cover letter, CV and portfolio to the Sustainable Concordia Design & Communications Coordinator at email@example.com with subject “Your Name – Design & Communications Coordinator Application.”