Finance Internship for Divestment Portfolio Research
Internship Application Deadline: May 31st, 2017 by 5pm
Start date: June 12th, 2017
Required Hours: 120
Position for credit or $500 honorarium
Are you knowledgeable about organization’s finances? Passionate about sustainability? Want to learn about divestment and its concrete implementations? We want to meet you!
Sustainable Concordia envisions a university which teaches and demonstrates sustainability principles of ecological health, social justice, and economic equality. We assess and address challenges of the existing economy based on unlimited growth and exploitation of natural resources and the political system that excludes key stakeholders from participating in decision-making.
Part of this work involves critically examining the university’s investment strategy that currently supports fossil fuels: something that Sustainable Concordia and other groups and individuals across campus are actively and passionately campaigning against due to the unsustainable nature of these investments and their implications. We believe that universities have a crucial role to play in developing an ecologically aware, socially just, and economically responsible society.
Goal of the internship: The overall goal of this internship is to research and document concrete options and steps required to create an investment portfolio that is in line with Divest Concordia’s values. The research carried out throughout the summer will be implemented during the fall semester in order to move Sustainable Concordia’s reserves to responsible investment portfolios.
- Collect and review previous research related to Divest Concordia
- Research information on successes and failures of SRIs in other Universities that have divested
- Together with SC’s finance committee and consultants, research and document potential investment portfolios as well as concrete steps required for implementation
- Basic understand of organizational finances
- Show understanding of the issues related to fossil fuel industries
- Develop three to five personal learning objectives
- Participate in an mid and end of internship evaluation related to personal learning objectives and deliverables
- Two to three presentations for general audiences explaining and outlining the research process and findings
- A document or website describing the findings of the research
- If timing permits, create a simulation or mock-up for the investment portfolio
Personal Learning Objectives:
Tasks will be completed in addition to personal learning objectives, decided upon by the successful candidate.
Internship Schedule: Schedule will be decided upon by the successful candidate and their supervisor.
Sustainable Concordia acknowledges that our society does not value and respect all people equally. We value and are seeking applicants with different perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences to join our organization.
To Apply: Send CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org