Engagement and Volunteer Coordinator
Compensation: $15.00/hour for 15 hours of work per week
Application Deadline: Friday, August 7th 2015 before 12:00pm (noon)
Contract length: One year with potential for renewal based on performance reviews and the financial stability of the organization
Send CV with Cover Letter to the Office Coordinator
Please format the subject line as; Full Name – Engagement and Volunteer Coordinator Application
Sustainable Concordia recognizes and welcomes the unique contributions that individuals from marginalized and oppressed communities bring to our organization, and invites these individuals to apply. We encourage applicants to describe the unique contributions they, as individuals with diverse experiences, would bring to Sustainable Concordia in their cover letter or resume.
About Sustainable Concordia
Sustainable Concordia is an organization that builds and measures culture and practices of sustainability at Concordia University in solidarity with the global community. We believe that fundamental changes need to be implemented. We assess and address challenges of the existing economy based on unlimited growth and exploitation of natural resources and the political system that excludes key stakeholders from participating in decision-making.
Through our three priorities; collaborating on a Sustainability Policy for Concordia, advocating for carbon neutrality, and Sustainability Education and Engagement, Sustainable Concordia mobilizes and campaigns in order to make fundamental changes within the university.
The Education and Engagement Coordinator’s main goal is to facilitate the recruitment, coordination, and formal recognition of volunteers. Activities involved in realizing this goal include attending events throughout both campuses when there is an outreach opportunity to solicit potential volunteers and/or for increasing awareness by engaging in discussions about our individual and collective roles regarding sustainability on campus. The incumbent also fills volunteer positions as mandated by the annual programming of Sustainable Concordia, and collaborates with the Outreach Committee to ensure the organization has the volunteer capacity in order to effectively host outreach events, tabling, and other engagement opportunities as needed.
The candidate also collaborates with coordinators, fellows, and volunteers in the overall planning and organization of campaigns and educational activities of Sustainable Concordia as they are established. Finally, as Sustainable Concordia undergoes organizational transformation, the incumbent actively participates in the planning and execution of long-term future directions of Sustainable Concordia, in addition to actively participating in internal operations such as short-term goal/priority setting processes, and participatory budgeting processes.
Volunteer Recruitment & Leadership
- Alongside volunteers and Outreach committee, establish, lead, and coordinate outreach events and tabling activities.
- Attend student-related outreach events in order to promote SC volunteering opportunities to the student body
- Compile and assess recruitment data
- Evaluate recruitment techniques and modifying plans based on results
- Co-curricular Record management (volunteer hour tracking and transcript recognition)
- Plan and organize Volunteer Appreciation/Recognition Events
- Train and empower new volunteers
- Maintain online database of volunteers
Sustainable Concordia operations shared with Co-Coordinators:
- Participate in Outreach Committee meetings
- Participate in Sustainable Concordia Coordinator meetings
- Contribute to participatory budgeting process
- Collaboratively evaluate the operations of the organization
- Participate in strategic planning for Sustainable Concordia
- Experience recruiting and coordinating people around a central goal
- Experience with delegating tasks in a respectful manner
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Proven track record of maintaining an autonomous work plan while also working as part of a cohesive team
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong speaking abilities in one-on-one settings, small groups, and large groups
- Comfort with speaking to strangers about sustainability issues
- Good working knowledge of global and local Sustainability Issues (Environmental, Social, and Economic) and ability to communicate these issues clearly and succinctly
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to fail, learn, and adapt quickly.
- Ability to conduct outreach creatively and effectively
- Knowledge of Sustainable Concordia and experience with the organization
- Experience organizing/collaborating within the Concordia student community
- Fluency in French, including sustainability vocabulary
- Experience with behavior change campaigns. Knowledge of behavior change strategies and strategies for building virility in messaging
- Experience working in non-hierarchical environments with anti-oppressive values