Sustainable Concordia is part of the divest Coalition, a student group calling on Concordia University to remove its investments in fossil fuels, and adopt a responsible investment policy.
We demand that Concordia University:
(1) Freeze all current investments in the fossil fuel and fossil fuel related industries
(2) Divest from the top 200 fossil fuel companies over a three year period
(3) Adopt binding socially and environmentally responsible investment policies into the university’s mandate
(4) Ensure student representation on the committee(s) responsible for formulating these policies
(5) Publicly endorse divestment, and call on other universities to divest from fossil fuels
In strengthening our policy negotiation tactics, the Divest Coalition is working towards expanding the research of relevant environmental, economic, and social themes for strategic and educational purposes. This includes:
Strategic lobbying with a seat on Joint Sustainable Investment Advisory Committee (JSIAC);
Creating Concordia’s Case for Divestment in collaboration with an equal representation steering committee to offer recommendations on the cruciality of divestment.
In recognizing the ongoing colonization of Indigenous peoples who have been safeguarding land for millennia, the “Divest Doc” is comprised of interviews with land and water defenders across Turtle Island and more locally on the island of Tiohtià:ke (Montreal). The intention of this documentary, worked on by CUTV and Sustainable Concordia, is to tell the stories of resistance to environmental destruction and resource extraction led by front-line indigenous communities.